Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rosaria 'Basali' Na-oy Capuyan: An Unsung Hero


Here I am, sitting in front of my computer typing anything that comes to my mind. I have lost an hour of electricity thinking of how I could start this article. I haven’t come up with anything catchy and so this state.

For the past few days since my grandmother passed away, I couldn’t think straight. I couldn’t even think of something to write. I was told by my cousin to write something about my grandmother, just like a tribute, and nothing came to mind. I had, I think, writer’s block. Well, the stress and the shock of my grandmother’s departure may have some effect to that. Usually, I could think readily of something to write if the need comes up. My mind was just a blank slate. I was distracted. I was tired. I was not my usual self. But…

Amidst everything that transpired, I still had a little strength to keep the blood running through my veins and start writing. So here goes: There haven’t been much time spent between my grandmother and I when I was a child for as long as I could remember but I do believe that my grandmother was and will always be a woman of all sorts—a caring and protective mother, an industrious and responsible daughter, a strict and loving grandmother, a no-holds-barred and compassionate aunt, a giving and forgiving sister, a trusted and trusting friend.

Yes, that’s what the name Rosaria ‘Basali’ Naoy Capuyan holds. She may be petite but to me, she held the world at her hands. That said, I know of one thing (which my mother and father relayed to us when we were young). Grandma Basali was never one to shy away from ominous rumblings of danger or crumble down when storms of challenges rush past her. She was never one to back down. She was never a person to think of herself first before others. Never selfish. Never one to cower when bolts of obstacles strike from the heavens. Instead, she braved every raging storm, every bullet of trouble, every downpour which brought danger to her loved ones. My grandmother was that strong – a superhero in my own slit inscrutable eyes.

Images of my spent time with Grandma rush past my eyes as I look upon my Grandma's face on her bed. I remember when I was young, Grandma Basali took me to Danonoy to "lumokso". I would never forget the time when I went with her to the fields and watched as she dug up the soil and was amazed as elongated things from the ground emerged as she turned the soil inside out and there I was watching from the sidelines. I called these Things "food from the ground" and later on learned they were called camote.

My Grandma has been forever an epitome of a tender loving and caring Grandma. As we were about to go home from the fields, she would pack some of the camote she gathered in a piece of cloth or sack and tied the ends together. Then she attached it to the end of a stick and gave it to me to carry and then we went on our way home. This only shows that she always did everything to make things easier and better for others.

Even after years and years of not seeing Grandma as she was in the States, she still came back as a tender-loving and caring Grandma. She would always tell us to feed the people first before we feed her. At 92, she could still walk well and find a pot to use for cooking rice. She would always tell us to check if there would be enough food or if we have cooked rice because as she always says, "inayan tay nu wada dumateng".

I am really really grateful that the Lord has bestowed upon us a Grandma as grandma Basali. I, with my sisters and brother are really thankful that you are our Grandma. Thank you very much for having our dad and for having us.

I would never forget what you have done for us, Grandma. You will always be part of us and your memories will linger on. Keep guiding us as you always have done. We will miss you dearly.

----- Bravo's Angels ------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me A Message