Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Blast From The Past

Had a blast the past 2 nights...

Just got back from the best outing I ever had. Yes, the very best I tell you. I'll never be happier to be with anybody other than these guys. I'll never be happier to have a night like this with friends. I'll never even be happier to ask for more than what I have right now. Thanks to these guys I had 2 great, awesome, energy-reviving, breathtaking nights in a row! Yes, I'll never be more grateful to the people who had made my life complete and have instigated one of my most unforgettable experiences--Kimberly Likigan, Lester Bal-isen, Darwin Chalacan, Wilfredo Daoas, and of course, my very bestfriend and sister, Rosalinda Obfan. Special thanks to Marion Baldo, Maricel Manganip and Genevieve Pelayo for adding spice and flavour to indeed, a beautiful night.

1st Night: December 19

It was a magnificent night in the making. Everyone was so excited for this night to come. Kimberly was even more excited to join us just to travel a distance of 250 kilometers, a six-hour travel by bus from Manila to Baguio City. I had been waiting for her so I could meet her at the bus station before we could go to Rosalinda's to leave our overnight bags. We have planned to sleep where Rosalinda stayed. Rose on the other hand sent me a message that we have to be in town earlier for a little bit of shopping so I met her. Seconds after we met, I already knew tonight was going to be unforgettable. We then went to meet Kim before we all went to Rosalinda's beloved home. (Oh, by the way we met Mam Evelyn Balisong while we were out shopping.)

We rested for a bit while waiting for the others to get ready. We bonded right then and there. Females. You know how they are. Blame the hormones.

Just then, the boys (Lester, Wilfredo and Darwin) sent a message that they would follow since Darwin had a client to attend to. And so we, ladies (yes, we are) went ahead to find us a place to start the night out. We usually are not among the beer-bellied, liver abusive socialites we find these days, but then, what the heck? This was our first night out since high school. It's good to have alcohol running in your blood sometimes (Skeptical, huh? Read this: Health Benefits of Liquor). With that in mind, we tried out a few bars here and there until we found one that would suit our tastes--the Orange Bar. Prior to that, we have been following (not purposely but accidentally) our 'instincts' or maybe what the three of us call, 'our classmates'. And guess where 'our classmates' ended. Yes, that's right. The Orange Bar.

And that's how the night started.

It was to me, a night full of stories, short and tall. Darwin was already making some handsome bills from his business. Kim also was making a living out of churches' structural designs. Rosalinda on the other hand, also seems to have taken to her calling as a kindergarten teacher. Marion Baldo (who arrived a few minutes behind), Lester and Wilfredo are still pursuing their degrees in college. That leaves me as the lesser person of them all (Haha...). I can see the people of my age chasing after their dreams. While here I am left behind, trying to accept the irony of life, trying to reach even the soles of their feet, trying to be strong in staying loyal to my profession, trying to be contented with just the spare change I get from freelancing, trying to convince myself that I am happy and satisfied living my life as it is.
In the middle of catching up with each others' lives and having fun with each others' company, Maricel Manganip came with 'Manung' to join the fun. Maricel was an online tutor. Whew! Seems I'm still the lesser person. Just then, Genevieve Pelayo and her 3 friends came but were seated at another table, incidentally, the one just behind us. Genevieve was a Korean tutor and is now teaching ESL at a certain company. Right then and there, I know I had to change how I'm living my life-- that I may regain the respect I had of myself, reinstate the confidence I had of myself, and most of all, replenish the faith and belief others had in me. Kumbaga, parang 'Itaga niyo sa bato, sa akin parin ang huling halakhak--The Movie'... Coming Soon... Haha... Echos!

Marion left early, Maricel followed with her 'Manung' a little bit later. The six of us were left to enjoy the rest of the night. Genevieve came to join us and introduced each of us to the 2 guys and 1 girl at their table. Well, I think the alcohol kicked in a bit and everyone was just having so much fun.

Then just as I thought the night (it was actually an hour past midnight) was going to an end and for us to leave, Wilfredo (Or was it Lester?) suggested we should go and eat. What?! After all the plates and plates of pulutan* we ordered, they still wanted to eat? After joking around, the plan to eat came to be unfeigned. Genevieve and her friends left minutes earlier but then we found them on our way to eat so they came with us. Our feet led us to Good Taste Restaurant (the best there is when you've got a tight budget, more than 10 friends with you and you're 'it').

I really don't know but now that I think of it, it was an amusing sight to behold. Others were eating, some sleeping, some joking around. I really couldn't explain how I felt that night but I know I was happy. I've never been that happy and excited for a long time. I loved how it felt. I loved the company. 

Well, the night here-ended as it was already the crack of dawn and some of us still had to take their examinations later today. Well, hey, if you believe you can pass the subject, you definitely will. Right? (=^_^=) Rose also had to get home since she would be proctoring for the nurses' licensure examinations in about 4 hours and here we are still wide awake.


Genevieve and her friends got a taxi first. Come to think of it, Wilfredo went with them. Darwin and Lester got a taxi next and here we 3 ladies were left alone waiting for a taxi to pass by. Good thing one had just dropped of a passenger and then we were inside the taxi's interiors, taking in its warmth and coziness. We arrived at Rosalinda's abode still relishing in the thought of the first night out.


* Pulutan (from the Filipino word pulutin which literally means "something that is picked up") is a term roughly analogous to the English term "finger food". It originally was a snack accompanied with liquor or beer but has found its way into Philippine cuisine as appetizers or, in some cases, main dishes, as in the case of sisig.
 
Deep fried pulutan include chicharon (also spelled tsitsaron), pork rinds that have been salted, dried, then fried; chicharong bituka or chibab, pig intestines that have been deep fried to a crisp; chicharong bulaklak or chilak, similar to chicharong bituka it is made from mesenteries of pig intestines and has a bulaklak or flower appearance; and chicharong manok or chink, chicken skin that has been deep fried until crispy.

Some grilled foods include barbecue isaw, chicken or pig intestines marinated and skewered; barbecue tenga, pig ears that have been marinated and skewered; pork barbecue which is skewered pork marinated in a usually sweet blend; betamax, salted solidified pork or chicken blood which is skewered; adidas which is grilled or sautéed  And there is sisig a popular pulutan made from the pig's cheek skin, ears and liver that is initially boiled, then grilled over charcoal and afterwards minced and cooked with chopped onions, chillies, and spices. chicken feet.

Smaller snacks such as mani (peanuts) are often sold boiled in the shell, salted, spiced or flavored with garlic by street vendors in the Philippines. Another snack is kropeck which is fish crackers.

Fried tokwa't baboy is tofu fried with boiled pork then dipped in a garlic-flavored soy sauce or vinegar dip that is also served as a side dish to pancit luglog or pancit palabok.


2nd Night: December 20

Tonight was again earth-rocking. It was just a split-second decision when we decided to have dinner with friends. Veritably, another night you'd wish to experience once more!

Earlier today, Kim and I woke up to find Rosalinda already out of bed. Well, why not when she had some proctoring to attend to and it was already 11:30AM? Come to think of it, she might already be on her way home. And then as if she really had paranormal and psychic abilities, Rose sent us a message informing us where the rice was and for us to cook if we got hungry (hehehe). Now that I think of it, I was wondering how Rose fared while proctoring? Hmmm... With just maybe an hour of sleep, not to mention being bothered by a rather loud and quite unpleasant sound resulting from the vibration of respiratory structures, due to obstructed air movement during breathing while sleeping, Rose may now be knocked out cold in front of her class by now. I found out later she was fighting with her eyelids (tee-hee).

Anyway, Kim and I were eating leftover food from Good Taste, of which we took home since there was a lot left, when the idea of having dinner just popped out of her mind. We then waited for Rose to come home and then we broke the news to her. As was Kim and I, she was delighted by the idea. We then informed the others. We convinced Darwin to buy us dinner (Kim and Darwin actually were debating on the matter of who among them was to pay). What we thought was to be a futile effort came to be a success as Darwin and Kim agreed to supply what the other lacks.

Darwin picked us up for dinner and then we picked Lester and Wilfredo up in town. We first decided to go to 50's Diner but thought again of it and so we ended at Mang Inasal's at SM City Baguio. I wanted to try 50's Diner but then my luck may have fallen out. It's not the end of the world and there are many days to come where Wilfredo or Lester would buy us dinner, too. Hehe... In the near future. Right, guys?

It was again another night full of fun and laughter. Kim was going down to Manila tonight and so we roamed around the mall and made the best out of the company. We even went and try out our hidden talents in singing. And guess what? We were... perfect! hehehe... Thanks to Kim's, Darwin's and Lester's God-given talents. 

But I wouldn't just be all words and nothing else. I wouldn't just want to tell you everything that happened. I'd also want to show you.
Christmas Batch: Single's Night Out
Priceless Smiles


I just gotta let you know
what it is that won't let me go... It's your love...


Hala, Darwin, birit!

Yeah, love the pose... And the smiles...

If you'd want to view more of our captured moments, please visit Christmas Batch by Kimberly Likigan.
And so, the singing went on until it was time for the mall to close.  We were about to  send Kim to the bus station when Darwin did the cutest little thing (to me, it really was). Pa-simple kumbaga but still, cute. At first, I was wondering why he brought out his driver's license. Then Wilfredo was asking about when it was bound to expire. And there it was, right in front of our noses. Birthdate: 12/21/1986. Darwin was turning  24 in just less than 3 hours! Was it a coincidence that we just made a split-second decision to convince Darwin to buy us dinner or had Kim had her third eye open? Instincts, instincts, instincts... You never know how they work.

We then shepherded Kim to the bus station and waited for her to get her ticket before we took off. This is it, guys! It's hard to say goodbye but then I take comfort in the fact that I would be seeing all of you in the near future. I'll forever cherish what we have shared the past 2 nights. Nothing compares to what we have shared these nights--the laughter, the jokes, the stories and most of all, the camaraderie... Thanks, guys. I owe it all to you... See you on the 27th! I miss you all... Love you all, guys! Thanks for making this happen...
Happy birthday, Darwin! Thanks for everything-- the dinner, the free ride, your company.  I wish for you all the success and the good things in life... Matagu-tago ka!

Goodnight, everyone! Indeed, it is a wonderful feeling that I am to go into yet another dimension as I force my still energetic and euphoric self into peaceful slumber... and tomorrow... tomorrow... ZzZzZzZzZz...

3 comments:

  1. walang lesser person sa mga yan... ako lng huhuhu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god,,my tears fell down when i read this articles it really touch me,, i cried becoz i saw darwin very happy during your bonding,, and that dec.21 2010 also andun din kmi sa itogon celebration ng bday nya,,and we also enjoyed..

    ReplyDelete
  3. _darwin is very loyal boyfriend to me and i really cant accept what happen to him,i want revenge but its bad,, but during his lament the message that i heard is VENGEANCE IS MINE,I WILL REPAY SAYETH THE LORD." ang baitbait ni darwin na barkada and boyfreind of mine,hes always dir to help me... thanks sa mga kabatch nya na dumalo sa lamay nya..///

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me A Message