Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas in the Air

Whee… Merry Christmas, everyone. It, if truth be told, feels so good to spend time with your family during the holidays. It was for us a family get-together here in Mankayan, which is located in the northern part of Benguet, just neighboring Loo, Bugias. My grandparents were there, as well as my uncles and aunties and their families. Well, of course except for my two aunties who are now with their families in the States.

My excitement about our Sagada NHS batch reunion on the 27th was furthermore augmented as this was my first Christmas with my maternal grandparents and relatives. We had our New Year here 2 years ago and the only thing I remember was the time when a shot rang out of the night to welcome the New Year. It was my uncle, then shooting blanks. Even then, it was still a scary thing to do. My greatest fear then was that what if it weren’t blanks and someone got hurt? And what if the night patrol would have come to arrest my uncle? Uso pa naman yung gunshot wounds doon due to stray bullets. 

Anyway, this was our first Christmas with our grandparents who just arrived from the States. My mother had spoke about us coming here for the Christmas vacation when we were children but I don’t recall any of that so I consider this my first Christmas with them. And it was fun, fun, fun.

It was electrifying and hilarious, come to think of it, trying to fit all 8 families in just a small house but then what mattered most was how united we were and how happy everyone was. It was music to my ears when I heard my cousins and nephews shout, laugh and cry. It was also a warm and ecstatic feeling to hear the pitter-patter of their little, little feet on the wooden floors of the upstairs bedrooms and sala. It was also an invigorating feeling to hear the laughter and untold stories of my uncles’ and aunties’ and also mom’s childhood. It was fun to learn how to cook from my kitchenwide-talented aunt of whom I learned how to cook a lot of dishes I’d love to share with you sometime.

It was also enjoyable and thrilling to know more about my cousins and bond with them more. My cousin is celebrating her 3rd birthday and she looked so cute in her Igorot costume. Auntie and Uncle had brought us two big, big cakes and they were so scrumptious that we took one serving after the other. Yummy!

Then the atmosphere became even warmer as flames from the bonfire outside entered each of our souls as we camped around the fire, roasting marshmallows and hotdogs and barbecue. My mouth keeps watering just as I think of it. The night sky was so enchanting and cloudless that we could enjoy the exquisiteness of the eye of the night and the twinkling splendor of the silky stars up above. The scene further made the mood ecstatic as cousins, aunts and uncles, shared stories and laughed all the way to our hearts’ content. Even the neighbors came to join in in the fun.

I love reunions. They get your energy levels up and you’re ready to live beautifully and wonderfully and healthily again. They give you this feeling of comfort, security, love and belongingness. And that sensible feeling could be proven from Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. I hope we could come back again for a Christmas vacation next year.

Unfortunately, I have to end this manuscript here since my cousins are about to finish the last sticks of barbecue we made and I haven’t even eaten enough to satisfy my rumbling, barbecue-deprived stomach.

Have a Merry Christmas!!! Good night or good morning for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me A Message